There are a number of amenities in the Kingmoor area. Please click on a link to find out more.
Kingmoor Nature Reserve has been enjoyed by the public for nearly 700 years since King Edward II gifted the original moorland to the people of Carlisle in 1352. It was also the first venue for the Carlisle Horse Race with the oldest surviving horse racing prize, the Carlisle Bells. The Bells date back to 1580 and can be seen in the Guildhall in Carlisle city Centre.
Cumberland Nature reserve association was established in 1914 when the Corporation of Carlisle handed over the historic common of Kingmoor to be used as a nature reserve. Once a continuous strip of woodland over 2km long, the central section of the reserve was felled in 1933 to build an airfield. The airfield later became the Kingstown Industrial Estate.
The 1st annual report of the association explained how a “watchers” fund was established to generate income to maintain the reserve. The report goes on to outline the activity in the reserve which included over 100 bird nests under observation, 15 species of butterfly, 122 species of moths, 257 species of beetles and 120 varieties of plants.
The North reserve lies within Kingmoor Parish and the south reserve within the surrounding area.
They are connected by a footpath which follows the route of the dismantled Waverley Railway Line. The line was closed to passenger trains in 1969.
The name comes from the fact that moorland in the areas was given to the city of Carlisle in 1352 by King Edward 111. It was used for grazing, peat cutting and a racecourse. The woods were planted in later centuries. The reserve is now managed by Carlisle City Council.
Stagecoach 62 /62a service runs to Crindledyke
Village Wheels provides a timetabled service to Cargo using the Rural Wheels membership scheme, planning service and smartcard payment.
To find out more about the Cargo Village Wheels scheme please open the link below.
As Village Wheels is not a registered bus service passengers are unable to use their concessionary NOWcards.
Although not in the parish Asda Carlisle Superstore sits on the edge of the parish and houses the nearest Pharmacy.
Address ASDA Pharmacy
Tel: 01228 554119
Chandler Way, Parkhouse, Carlisle, Cumbria, CA3 0JQ
The two nearest Post Offices to Kingmoor Parish are:-
Kingstown Post Office
Phone: 01228 512439
Kingmoor Road Post Office
Phone: 01228 523039
Kingmoor Park, has over 2 million square feet of industrial, office and warehouse buildings ranging in size from 1,500 to 83,000 square feet. The site is set in over 400 acres of landscaped grounds and has planning permission for B1, B2 and B8 uses, namely: industrial, warehouse, distribution and office space.
The site can be accessed directly from Junction 44 of the M6 via the Carlisle Northern Development Route (A689). This major arterial route travels through the middle of the site, traversing to the north of Carlisle before joining the A595 to West Cumbria.
Carlisle sits astride the UK’s main north-south road and rail links and is within 1-2 hours of Newcastle.
Kingstown Retail Park is again located in the area surrounding the Parish and approximately 3 miles North of Carlisle City Centre.
Stores include Argos Extra, PC World, Homebase, Next Home and Hobbycraft. There is an Asda superstore to the north of the Park and a large Industrial Estate to the south which includes a McDonalds restaurant.
The Park is situated next to junction 44 of the M6 motorway and at the top of Kingstown Road if travelling north from Carlisle City Centre.
There is plenty of free parking available.